PYJ

Not so perfect, not so young

Monday, June 12, 2006

Making a /k/ from scratch

Big news! A little kidlet that I am seeing for speech therapy said a "k" sound today! Surely this deserves a blog mention/potential breach of confidentiality!

If you aren't a speech pathologist or a child with a phonology delay, you may take "k" for granted. No big deal. Likely, there was a point in your life when you said, "Tan I have a tootie?" and your parents thought it was cute. Then someone laughed at you for saying "titty tat" and you started making sounds at the back of your mouth and it was all good.

Say a "k" right now. Go ahead. Now, think about how you might explain to a 3 and a half year old how to make that sound. It's really not that easy. It's better if you try to show them, but it's a hard sound to see as well.

Since my supervisor is awesome, and I am trying my darndest to BE her, and this little kidlet is a genius, we were able to hear a few good k's today. Really, it was the high point of my day.

It kind of reminds me of last year, when a child I was treating said "kitty fart", and it pretty much blew my mind.

[I will only truly have achieved my goal of BEING my supervisor when I have successfully used the exclamation "Zippidydoo!" in an effort to entertain a small child. Seriously. I'm getting there.]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home