PYJ

Not so perfect, not so young

Sunday, October 15, 2006

I like. . .

Postsecret. Every Sunday, new secrets sent in by readers are posted. Today, I enjoyed this one.

Youtube. It's great for looking up new tv and music clips, as well as dredging up some painful ones for a bit of nostalgia. Today, Daniel and I looked up the hard-rocking Christian music that we used to listen to when we were kids, and we found this. We also looked up Keith Green, who I still listen to from time to time. This one made me squirm in my seat a little bit, but I guess that's the point.

The first clip is the group Petra, whose cassette I bought shortly after returning from summer camp in 1989, where I had learned to style my hair in the fashion of the day:


(Not an actual photo of me. She has achieved bang-volume that I could only have wished for, and I didn't figure out the magic of a spiral perm until grade 5.)

As you can imagine, when I returned to school that fall I was one of the best-coiffed girls in Mrs. Pedersen's grade 4 class. To further increase my coolness, when an airband contest was held that year, I tried to convince some of the guys in my class to perform a Petra song with me. Somehow it didn't happen.

3 Comments:

  • At 2:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Does Youtube have the one where Michael W. Smith sings "Secret Ambition" in a tacky colourful vest? That's my favourite summer camp video.

     
  • At 5:34 PM, Blogger Jaimie said…

    Is this the one you mean? (you'll have to copy and paste the link)

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oi9ewYLYJUo

    I once knew choreography to this one. It was compelling.

     
  • At 10:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Oh, yeah, baby, that's the one, feathered hair, vest and all. Thanks for finding it. How did you remember all that choreography? It's hard to keep track of all the fist pumping, arm flailing, head tossing and graceful twirling.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home