PYJ

Not so perfect, not so young

Sunday, November 27, 2005

Whiny

I'm tired. I compulsively stay up too late. Last night my excuse was that I wanted to keep knitting. I forced myself to go to bed not too long after "Revenge of the Nerds" started as the CityTV late night movie. There's no justification for watching that.

Earlier in the evening, I finally saw "March of the Penguins", a big-screen documentary that I've been meaning to see for a long time. It made me happy. It was very touching - the challenges that those birds go through to bring little ones into the world are incredible.

*spoiler alert*
Basically, the males have to incubate the eggs by holding them on their feet under a flap of skin for two months, until the females come back from feeding in the ocean. The care with which the female transfers the egg to the male is crucial - if the egg touches the ice for more than a few seconds, the little eggy will die. The film seems to indicate that this makes the penguins quite sad. If the egg dies, the would-have-been father can march back to the water with the females, and continue his life until the next mating season.

I said all that to say this:
On the way home, when we were talking about the movie, Daniel said,

"I figure the best plan is to drop the egg right away. Whoops! Then you can take off and go back to the ocean. Why wouldn't they all do that?"

This is the future father of my children talking. How concerned should I be?

Correction(Dec. 27, 2005):Daniel did not say, "Why wouldn't they all do that?" He said, "That's what I would do." I don't feel any less concern.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home