PYJ

Not so perfect, not so young

Saturday, April 22, 2006

My gift to you

Crystal, Daniel, and I went to the movie American Dreamz last night, so you wouldn't have to. Aren't you glad?

You may be thinking that a movie directed by the guy that directed About a Boy and staring Hugh Grant as a nasty person can't help but be funny. Well, I admit that we did laugh from time to time, but not to an acceptable degree. I'd give it a score of 4 on a 10 point scale of funniness. The girl who sat behind me thought it was pretty stinking funny, and had a few good outbursts, but she doesn't get to post on my blog.

There was one thing I liked about the movie, but it requires a bit of back-story.

A lot of the slang that the kids are using nowadays is really only distinguishable from common English when it is typed. Examples are "hott" and "sux". I have started indicating when I'm using the slang version by saying things like:

"That sux, with an x."

or

"You're hott, with two t's."

Otherwise, how will anyone know that I'm not just using the plain old versions of "hot" and "sucks" that everyone else uses?

So I was very excited that the lyrics to the theme song of the tv-show-within-the-movie ended with this line:

"American Dreamz, dreams with a 'z'."

I'm really looking forward to seeing this phenomenon take off. Unfortunately, since American Dreamz sux pretty bad, it may not set off the wave of slang-spelling that I've been hoping for.

6 Comments:

  • At 5:12 AM, Blogger Reel Fanatic said…

    Just here to do my part by saying this movie blowz

     
  • At 11:12 AM, Blogger Jaimie said…

    Woot.

     
  • At 4:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You still have to appreciate Hugh Grant's charm and wit though! That was enough to get me through.

     
  • At 10:57 AM, Blogger Jaimie said…

    I'm glad that got you through! (Jena, is that you?)

     
  • At 1:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    No, that wasn't my comment about Hugh Grant's charm and wit. I still haven't seen the movie. I'm hooked on Scott Bakula from Quantum Leap right now on DVD.

     
  • At 8:49 PM, Blogger Jaimie said…

    Jena - it turns out my sister is an anonymous commenter!! For shame, Crystal!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home